The Constituency-Level Elections Archive (CLEA)
is a repository of detailed election results at the constituency level for lower chamber and upper chamber legislative elections from around the world.
Our motivation is to preserve and consolidate these valuable data in one comprehensive and reliable resource that is ready for analysis and publicly available at no cost. This public good is expected to be of use to a range of audiences for research, education, and policy-making.
The CLEA bibliography cites working papers, publications, and presentations known to use Daniele Caramani’s Elections in Western Europe since 1815: Electoral Results by Constituencies or public releases of CLEA.
CLEA Release 14 (20201216) includes updates to the Lower Chamber election data.
Overview of CLEA Release 14
CLEA Lower Chamber:
• Dataset now includes around 1900 election results from 170 countries and territories.
• This release adds 62 new elections from 43 countries.
• We have added two new countries: Sint Maarten and Tunisia.
• Major recent elections added in this release include Brazil 2018, Canada 2019, India 2019, Nigeria 2019, South Africa 2019, Turkey 2018, UK 2019, and US 2018.
• There have been corrections to a number of existing elections, particularly of party names and party codes. Australia 1990 and Uganda 2006 were especially heavily revised, but errata spanned several dozen elections.
The datasets are free and available for download in the following formats: Excel, Stata, SPSS, R, and SAS. Appendix II (Party Codes) is also available as an Excel file. All datasets are are in unicode (UTF -8) character encoding.
We’d like to thank our users for bringing errors and new data to our attention. These have been addressed in the latest release, and the list of changes and corrections can be found in the ‘Data and Documentation‘ section of the website.